Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Name That Tune

Hello, and welcome to Don't Look Back... Again; a blog where I look back on things that I enjoy and write down my thoughts for the heck of it, if anything out of boredom. Well I tried to avoid it, but I wasn't able to compile the thing I wanted to do together yet, so to pass my time I thought I would do another top 5 list, this time of my favorite video game music. I mostly play RPGs so, yeah more than likely my list will be made up of those songs, but to keep it fair Final Fantasy will have its own top 5 next time. So here are my top 5 video game tunes;

#5: Dying Corpse- Breath of Fire II

This is probably one of my favorite battle themes ever, only for the fact that I really wasn't expecting it. In most games the battle music never changes, save for the big boss battles; but this marked the half way point within Breath of Fire II. To me it really set the tone for the rest of your journey as you fought for your life trying to save the world.

#4: Taiyo High School Rooftop- Rival Schools

Okay, I rarely ever play fighters, but the one I really loved was Rival Schools. And of course, being released by Capcom it naturally had to have a kick ass soundtrack. Whenever my friends and I sat down to play this game we would always and I mean ALWAYS choose this stage to fight on just because of this song. It always managed to get us pumped up and ready to kick each others' asses.

#3: Kokoro- Xenosaga

I am just in awe over this song and I feel it really set the mood for Xenosaga as a whole. For those not in the know; Xenosaga was to be an episodic tale spanning over six games, with Xenogears being episode five in the series (though it would have had revisions because Saga was not published by Square-Enix), but unfortunately the series was cut short and only three games were released. However, since I played Xenogears when it came out, I naturally flocked towads the series and hearing this song was very reminisce of Xenogears' ending theme; "Small Two of Pieces". I am a sap naturally and the lyrics truly speak volumes to me.

#2: Frog's Theme- Chrono Trigger

I love love love love loooooooove this song. This song really set the mood every time Frog entered; from the first time you meet him to save Queen Leene to when you have a heart to heart with Cyrus at his grave to empower the Masamune. But the one scene I will forever remember with this song is when he Frog says; "Handeth over the Masamune." Crono puts in the ground and Frog proclaims; "Mine name is Glenn, Cyrus' hopes and dreams and now the Masamune. Forth with I shall slay Magus and restore honor!" A serge of energy comes forth from the sword as he slices open the Magic Cave to head towards Magus' castle. For me it is the best character song ever.

#1 Awakening- Xenogears

If there was any boss theme that got me fired up it was this one. This plays as the preliminary final boss fight music and it really sets the mood as it has that sense of urgency that if you don't do something soon, your fate and everyone else's will be death. I feel this way every time I hear this song and whenever I write a story with such a scene, I have this playing on loop for inspiration. I loved the entire score for Xenogears, but this song by far is my favorite.

So there you have it, my top 5 favorite video game songs. Next time I will list off my favorite 5 tracks from the Final Fantasy series and I promise after that I will have something other than a list. See you next time. ^^/

No comments:

Post a Comment