Thursday, March 10, 2011

Name That Tune: Final Fantasy Edition

Hello and welcome to Don't Look Back... Again; a blog where I just do things for my own personal amusement. As I said last time I would be listing my top five songs from the Final Fantasy series, so here they are in all their glory.

#5: Maybe I'm a Lion- Final Fantasy VIII

Okay, let's face it; Final Fantasy VIII is probably one of the worst games in the series as the story really made no sense and the characters were horribly under developed, but what I love about this series as a whole is that the soundtracks never cease to amaze me and that's exactly what FF8 with this song. Yeah, there are others I do enjoy, like "Man with the Machine Gun", but when I got to this fight I found myself just grooving to the song rather than pay attention to the fight at hand. In all honesty it really reminds me slightly of the Lion King and that's more than likely why I gravitate to this tune, plus for a boss battle, it sounds nothing like you'd think a boss fight would. So I really give props to its originality.

#4: Still More Fighting- Final Fantasy VII

Yeah, I might be a little bit predictable with this one; as every fan of Final Fantasy seems to love this boss battle music and honestly I can't blame them. FF7 was my second Final Fantasy game I have ever played and when I first heard this song I was pumped for the fight at hand. With each boss it just seemed to flow well with your fighting and just over all a fantastic song. Though I think the title is a little mundane for something that sounds so bad ass. (And a funny note; I didn't know the actual name of the song till making this list. I had always heard it was called "The Decisive Battle", which would make sense since FF4, the boss battle theme was called that.)

#3: The Lunar Whale- Final Fantasy IV

Ah FF4 never stops pleasing the fans. Final Fantasy IV has had so many ports it almost seems like this game is the fan favorite and not Final Fantasy VII. For being on the SNES, soundtrack is still enjoyable by todays standards and this song really makes me smile as it just screams "Airship~!" and lets face it, the airships are partly what this series is known for. The Lunar Whale was just awesome as it could go from the Earth to the Moon and back and this song just had that feeling of "we're going to save the world". Not many pieces I can say have that positive and determined feeling.

#2: Alexander/"Waking the Colossus"- Final Fantasy XI

The final battle music for the end of the Treasures of Aht Urhgan expansion for FFXI. This song has so much going for it and the top of that list would be that it at actually makes it feel like it's going to be an epic showdown and for a monster that can't move, it really lives up to its expectations. This song is also very dear to me just for the fact it was the very first time I felt like I was actually my character and not playing a game. I went as Dark Knight for this fight and because it was touching the point where we would time out I used Souleater, knowing full well what that I was going to die. I just has this image in my head of her looking to her friends saying "Finish it", which I did in party chat btw, and smiling as Alexander took her out.


#1: Aria di Mezzo Carattere/ Celes' Theme- Final Fantasy VI

Probably the most remembered and iconic scene in the Final Fantasy series. It was so unique to have an opera and I find myself getting lost within its melodies every time I listen to it. And like every fan of Final Fantasy VI, I longed to see this as an FMV scene with actual singing, and as a treat for you all I have found something close. While compiling this list I flip around Youtube so I could link the songs in so you could hear them and when I was looking for this song I found out that there was a concert a number of years ago in LA where they had preformed the opera in English. And it's just as beautiful as I could have hoped for. (Note; the version being sung is from the GBA release, not the original SNES version.)

So there you have it, my top 5 Final Fantasy songs. I am now off to prepare for next entry, see you all next time. ^^/

No comments:

Post a Comment