Saturday, May 14, 2011

For Your Viewing Pleasure Part 1

Hello and welcome to Don't Look Back... Again. Today's entry I had come up with about a month ago, but I needed to be sure that the list I had made was exactly what I had wanted. As it turns out it was; until last week lol. So I altered it only slightly and thus we can start the countdown of my Top 5 Anime Recommendations for Beginners.

Honorable Mention: Weiss Kreuz aka Knight Hunters

Photobucket

Okay, view this as me cheating if you want, but Weiss was originally the number 5 on the list and I really wanted to keep it on, thus it gets an honorable mention. This was one of the more unique series I had seen and is still one of my favorites today. The story revolves around 4 boys; Omi, Ken, Aya and Yoji, who work at a flower shop during the day, however when night falls they are an assassin team known as Weiss (vice).

Like all television series the opening can make a big difference in whether or not you wanna keep going with the show, well for me at least. And Weiss did not disappoint. Even if you're not really into the J-Pop/J-Rock scene, you can still appreciate the sounds of a good song.



Velvet Underworld I felt really captured the theme of the series. After it's 26 episode run, the Weiss boys would return again in a 2 part OVA series, but that was never brought over stateside. Then in 2002 a new chapter for the series came to light as Weiss Kreuz Gluhen aka Knight Hunters Eternity was released.

Photobucket

As you can see from the previous picture above, the character designs for the 4 original Weiss members has changed and honestly the only one I don't like is Omi's. Though I do have to wonder how Aya went from a redhead to a long haired brunette.

The opening, much like Velvet Underworld, fit the series perfectly;



As an anime fan I often get asked whether I prefer the English Dubs over the original Japanese dialog and truth be told it depends on the series. So as I recommend this series I say it's a toss up on which version to watch. The dub wasn't horrible and was actually down right enjoyable, but the Japanese version is a little more special since the voice actors for the four main characters were of the band called Weiss Kreuz and it is them who are preforming the opening and endings to the series.

So why is this an honorable mention and not remaining number 5? Well it really has to do with the ending. As much as I love this series the ending really leaves a lot to be desired. In fact my friend CorSec ranted a long time (still does when we talk about this show) how the ending shouldn't have been the way it is. So I still recommend watching it, but the ending to Gluhen kinda sucks.

And now, the count down...

#5: Gensomaden Saiyuki

Photobucket

A long time ago, my friend Nadia had introduced me to this series, and I had fallen in love with it from the first episode I saw. This series is a retelling of the famous Chinese folk tale A Journey to the West. The story follows Son Goku, Sha Gojyo, Cho Hakkai and Genjo Sanzo as they make their way west to stop the resurrection of Gyo Mao and halt the demon uprising in its tracks.



The first season was by far one of my favorites as it established the characters very well and the plot was very straight forward. Of course, how could it not be? They are just heading west after all. The opening song, entitled For Real, was definitely one that grasped my attention and the imagery that went a long with it was very pleasant as well.



The second season was, unfortunately unneeded, save for like 3 episodes. Don't get me wrong, every step in Sanzo's journey is important. But this season had a lot to be desired as it had nothing to do with the original story of the manga in which the anime was adapted from. Originally when my friends and I had seen Saiyuki this and the movie, Saiyuki Requiem, would be the last we would see of Saiyuki for awhile. My friend Nadia was going to make a web series in Flash with her friends doing the voices and make a third season that would actually continue on with the storyline's actual plot.

Even though the project would have been fun, there was no need as they had released its third season; Saiyuki RELOAD.



This of course picks up right where we last left the Sanzo party and they continue to make their way to the west. For me, not having seen or read the series in a long time, when I found a streaming site that had all of it I was so excited that I sat there and watched all the through the episodes. I do find it interesting however, that Nadia's rendition of season 3 was going to revolve around what the last 3 episodes of RELOAD was. Would have been neat to see how that played out lol.

A fourth season was then released, Saiyuki RELOAD Gunlock;



Oh gee.... I wonder where I got the name for this Blog? My obsession with the series continued as I reached this season and the opening; Don't Look Back Again, had me completely hooked. I sat for three days straight, anticipating every episode till it came to an end.

This is my number 5 only for this one reason; the end doesn't really end. It would have ranked higher on my list had they actually made it to their destination and have an epic battle. But as it stands with the end of Gunlock they are still headed west. But that aside, the characters are love-able and you can't really get too lost in the plot as it is very straight forward, but there are surprising twists along the way that will hold your attention to the series.

Dub or Sub? Well this is another tough one as I have watched it through on both languages. But for me; the first 2 seasons are best dubbed. ADV didn't have the license for RELOAD and Gunlock so when they were released by Geneon, the voice cast was changed. It's not to say it was really bad, but the orginal dubbed voices were fantastic. Overall though, if you watch it straight through, the subbed version might be best. All the voice actors are the same and really fit their roles. One of my favorite voice actors in Japan, Toshiko Seki, provides the voice of Sanzo. And as a funny turn of events I was in the middle of watching Kamen Rider Den-O when I had picked Saiyuki up again. I couldn't stop laughing when Sanzo would talk as all I could picture was Momotaros lol.

So there you have it, another start to a list. I am aware that I don't go into complete detail, but where would be the fun in that? If you wanna know more about the series you'll look it up on your own, won't you? See you all next time! ^^/

No comments:

Post a Comment